Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Spitfire repairs

I finished work at a reasonable time today so thought I would take the opportunity to do some work on the Spitfire. The first job was to fit the petrol filter I bought last week. I put the filter in the flexible tube before the fuel pump. No real issues in fitting the filter. The second job was to fit a new exhaust gasket, to cure the exhaust leak that's been driving me mad for ages. I removed the carburetor and the inlet manifold, which is quite badly corroded around the water pipe connections. I may have a go at drilling the old pipe out and replacing it with a stainless pipe, I've seen these advertised on eBay so it can't be that difficult to do. The exhaust manifold had enough movement to allow me to slip the old gasket off the cylinder head. I will put it all back together tomorrow after I have cleaned the carbs and had a go at drilling the water pipe.

No comments: