Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Alternator repairs

I had to strip down the alternator on the spitfire today as I have noticed the red charging light coming on lately. After disconnecting the battery and removing the wires from the back of the alternator I removed the plastic cover over the brush housing. There was a lot of muck and debris in the brush area. I removed the brushes and gave them a good clean up along with the whole of the back of the alternator, using wd40, the brushes were then refitted and the cover put back on. I took the car for a spin and the light is not showing any more.

Apart from the alternator I haven't done any other jobs on the cars. The TR4A is in the garage at the moment until I renew the insurance next week. I was readin in one of the classic mags that you now have to send your tax disc back to DVLC and declare sorn if you don't have your car insured or you will recieve a £100 fine. Hopefully this hasn't come into effect just yet as I still have the car taxed. I geuss I will just have to wait and see if I get anything in the post.

No comments: