Friday, June 23, 2006

MOT time

Well I have booked the TR4A in for its MOT test on Monday so I thought I had better get my act together and have a look at a few jobs that need doing. The first was to sort out the main beam on the headlights. The main beam was making the ammeter swing right over to -30 amps when I operated the dip switch, indicating a short circuit, after removing the the dip switch and taking off both the headlamp units I put the multimeter from the blue/white wire to earth and it showed a short circuit, so the short must be in the wiring to the lights, i then took the wire leading upto the switch off and lost the short circuit. So at least I had isolated the problem to the wiring leading to the column switch. It turned out there was a break in the wiring on the main beam wire that was going down to earth. I had to solder another wire to the light switch and re-route the wiring to avoid it chafing on the steering column. The other job was to bleed the brake circuit as the brake pedal was still a bit soft after i changed the rear wheel cylinder.

No comments: