Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Carburettor overhaul update

I finished off the refitting of the carbs today. I set them up using the guide printed on the vintage triumph register website. First of all balancing the air flow then setting the tickover. I adjusted the jets using the lifting pin and listening for changes in the engine rpm after I was happy with the set up this way I checked the mixture with the colourtune and the front carb was spot on, the rear carb was running slightly rich so I adjusted the jet up about a 1/4 of a turn. The colourtune now stays a light blue shade throughout the whole rev range, only turning slightly yellow when the revs are dropped rapidly and the pistons take a few seconds to settle. I took the car out for a run and what a difference. The car runs so much smoother at tickover and right up through the rev range. The engine pulls much better and there is no hunting when the engine is coasting.
On another note I was going to take a run up to the TR Register club night at ramsden Bellhouse tonight but when I came back from the quick test run I noticed a patch of fluid around where the rear wheel a was sitting on the drive. I checked the brake fluid and sure enough it was rather low, so another shopping trip on the internet for a rear wheel cylinder kit and the next chapter on the weblog.

No comments: