Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Club Triumph treasure hunt

Melanie and I took the Spitfire to the north london branch of Club Triumphs monthly meeting on Easter Monday. The night included a Treasure hunt organised by Ellis, this consisted of a quiz with questions themed around the route the treasure hunt would take and the treasure hunt itself. The route around the Hertfordshire countryside was very pretty. We were one of the first cars to set off although a few wrong turns later we were soon overtaken by some of the other cars. We were caught in a three way cat and mouse game with two 6 cylinder spitfires belonging to Fredrique and Vin. We managed to hold our own - just! The spitfire was running is well and was ideal for the tight country lanes. Once the points were counted we came joint second, just one point behind the winners. Thanks go out to Ellis for making such a good job of organising the event.

However the next day was a different story. I took the spit to work and she was running really rough at idle and miss firing when accelerating. When I opened the bonnet there was petrol coming from the vent hole in the top of the float chamber of the rear carb. I had run the petrol really low the night before and I think I must have pulled some dirt into the carbs. Once I had taken the float chamber top off and cleaned out the needle valve the car returned to running well again. I won't let the petrol go as low as that again.

No comments: